Seeds per packet: 30
Malva Zebrina, also known as Tall Mallow, High Mallow, and French Mallow, is a cherished heirloom plant with a rich history, famously grown in President Thomas Jefferson’s garden at Monticello. This perennial gem offers a stunning display of blossoms, featuring deep violet veining on lavender-pink petals. Notably, it serves as a preferred host plant for the Painted Lady butterfly, making it a delightful addition to your garden, providing a habitat for egg-laying and nourishing emerging caterpillars. Standing tall at up to 48 inches, this plant boasts lush green foliage stalks that beautifully complement its blooms. Malva Zebrina self-sows freely and can thrive as a short-lived perennial or biennial, even enduring harsh winters down to zone 3.
- Historic heirloom plant, favored in President Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello garden.
- Exceptional tonal array with deep violet veining on lavender-pink petals.
- Ideal host plant for the Painted Lady butterfly, supporting their lifecycle.
- Lush green foliage adds aesthetic appeal to your garden.
- Self-sowing for easy propagation.
- Non-toxic and commonly used in herbal medicine for its mucilage content.
- Suitable for poultices on skin problems and edible leaves.
- Harvestable when mature with a long vase life.
- Thrives in various lighting conditions, from full sun to partial sun.
- Resilient perennial, biennial, or short-lived perennial.
- Adaptable to a range of moisture and climate conditions.
- Attracts beneficial insects and friendly pollinators.
- Perfect for cut flower arrangements and landscape beautification.